Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bushell's Decanter Tea Tin.

Well this one was a joy to do. Commissioned by Red Star design's Managing Director, David Croston, using the medium I love best....paint. The idea was to depict an Aussie farm in winter....hence the grey skies. I did originally do the rough as a sunset, but it was thought the colours were too warm. To gather the appropriate reference, I packed the wife and kids into our 4x4 and took off for four days to the country and outback of New South Wales. With camera in hand I drove all over the place trying to find what I was looking for, but nothing quite fit with my vision. My passengers were getting increasingly restless and so we called in to see some friends in Orange. I left the family to play and catch up and I took off to the Molong area. The final is really a combination of three farms I found around Crookwell, Oberon and Wellington in mid NSW. Eventually arriving back in the studio I began the underpainting and about a week later delivered the final to the design firm. The client requested various minor changes and as it is a panorama, I decided to scan the image and make the amendments digitally...a good move in the end as colour adjustments took some doing and matching up the join. The whole thing was a pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment